‘Number 1 in non toxic skin care!’
Too many brands make claims like this and it irks me to be honest. It’s just such a big statement to make when it comes to skincare – the effects of any product are so dependent on skin type and other variables, so what’s good for me may not work for you. But let me start from the beginning and you’ll understand why I feel I may have found MY number 1 in non toxic skincare.
I receive ALOT of products for review.
My collection has grown over the years and I now have a room dedicated just to PR products. This room / store cupboard is currently full. Sounds great right? Not quite. Due to my extremely sensitive skin, I cannot use ANY of them – it’s like having a closet full of clothes that don’t fit. I no longer test products (the team do) as it’s just not worth the eventual break out and the make-up free downtime needed to recover. You see, many of these products have been marketed on the fact that they are problem solving, quick fix, miracle solutions. Many call themselves organic, non toxic and claim that they won’t cause reactions or skin irritation. Let me tell you, in my experience this is rarely the case.
Enter, Lyonsleaf Calendula Cream.
It was a risk and I was skeptical, not least because of the packaging – give me luxe or give me minimalist, that’s it – none of this mattered in the end, a break-out free face is my proof.
ROUTINE: I use the cream after I wash my face and then apply SPF.
It’s selfcare for my skin – but I’m not going to waffle, here is why I like it:
- It’s thick so feels super hydrating, but leaves no greasy residue – just moisture!
- It does not cause my skin to break out – yay!
- It does not cause itching or irritation after prolonged use
- I don’t feel bad using it on my kids
- I have used it on an under boob rash and it cleared it right up – seriously!
Non toxic…but for real
Much more surprising, was that this moisturising cream has many other uses than just keeping my face hydrated and free from irritation. I have big boobs and can get under boob irritation if I get too hot and sweaty – especially when hunched over my laptop for hours on end – this cream, applied daily after a shower has cleared up all signs of redness. I also felt comfortable using this cream on my daughters excema, my son’s knees and elbows, my chapped heels…in short, this is a small but mighty tub of cream that goes a LONG way. Much more importantly, I can do this with a sense of ease that other products do not allow.
Obviously I’m a fan, so I had a chat with the Founder, Vicky Lyons. Here’s what she said:
Lyonsleaf started as a food and herb business. We began by selling the vegetables and herb plants we grew on our farm to local restaurants and at farmers markets. We had always been interested in using our amazing herbs to create natural skincare products. We thought people might be interested in them too, so we began to sell small numbers at local markets.
At the same time as our skincare business was forming, we were trying for a baby. Like many, we experienced the pain of several failed pregnancies. We wanted to understand why this was happening. We began to investigate the negative impact that certain artificial chemicals can have on the body. We also began to look at the relationship between what we eat and how we feel. Whilst we were developing our ideas, we had an experience that steered us and gave us confidence in our blossoming ethos.
I have sensitive skin and have experienced eczema. After a serious adverse reaction to a prescription steroid cream, I began using our homemade calendula moisturiser to soothe and hydrate my sore swollen eyes, and it didn’t sting on contact with my skin (unlike the steroid cream from the doctor, which made it much worse), they slowly returned to normal. These experiences and the research we did in response convinced us that 100% natural (not pretend natural, really natural) was the way forward.
We soon found out that the only way to be 100% natural was to go water-free. Our handmade, natural products proved to be an instant success with our customers. At first, we were genuinely surprised to hear from people who had found that our products were so useful for customers with skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis. Now we realise that it is because we have control of the processing and storage of the herbs we grow. We can ensure they are really potent and of the highest quality. It’s also because we don’t use the harsh preservatives necessary to stabilise water-based creams.
Our best sellers are our Zinc and Calendula Cream and our Beauty Balm. I think they are just such effective multi-taskers. We sell the two together as a system for perioral dermatitis, acne and rosacea prone skin and we seem to have really found our niche there.
Here’s a bit more on that Calendula Cream:
- An award winning 100% natural emollient. Hand-made with Lyonsleaf’s own calendula which is grown without the use of artificial chemicals, at a farm in Somerset.
- Uses 20% macerated calendula oil to create a visibly orange product with soothing compounds such as caretenoids and flavenoids. (overall calendula extract 2%).
- Made from 100% unrefined, undiluted plant oils. The epidermis’ ability to regulate itself is not compromised and it can draw water from the dermis below and from the air around it (the reason you don’t need water in your moisturiser) .
- Keeps pathogens out. Pathogens cause spots, fungal or bacterial infections, allergic reactions and flare ups of chronic skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis (this can happen to oily skin too).
- Super-concentrated, so you need only a tiny amount – it glides on, absorbs easily, covers a surprisingly large area and keeps skin hydrated for a long time.
- Suitable for very sensitive skin and problem skin
- Abundant in vitamins, antioxidants and other phyto-nutrients
- Made with sun-stable oils that do not oxidise
- Halts free-radical damage
- Contains all the fatty acids your skin requires to naturally maintain skin barrier
- Allows skin to regulate itself naturally
- Suitable for vegans and vegetarians
- NO Preservatives (Parabens, Phenoxyethanol, MI, etc)
- NO Emulsifiers or solubilisers (that damage skin barrier)
- NO Artificial colours
- NO Artificial fragrance (In fact – Lyonsleaf omits all artificial chemicals)